Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the problem with buckshot
I had to explain the problem with buckshot today. He went away much wiser.

Buckshot makes 9 or so 38 caliber or smaller holes in the animal. To understand it's limitations, you first have to understand how a firearm kills. It's not the projectile that causes the damage,it's the fire from the muzzle blast.
Shotgun shells use a fast burning powder that produces very little muzzle flash so they're handicapped to start.

Take a propane torch and point so the flame goes through a screen, and you'll see how all those little holes diffuse the flame.
That'll show you how buckshot is very limited and should only be used at very close range. Rolleyes

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Buckshot works for me. Once I learned when to take the shot, I have had great success deer hunting with it. Problem is with hunting with buckshot and running dogs, your first shot has to be the right one. If you take a bad shot it goes south quickly. There are a lot of guys I have hunted with that rush the first shot, and then the shots get worse as the animal runs away lol.
Thanks given by:
Ive learned in my years of hunting with buckshot although I don't use it much anymore , is very simple, dont shoot too far! keep them within 40 yard(at least with my guns)
Thanks given by:
I honestly hope neither of you took this post seriously.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by: