Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
if you can't arrest for photographing, we'll make something up.
Yeah well try standing outside of a military gate and filming. That will get you some attention quick.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Attention is fine thummy. ..illegal arrest is not. To be honest, I know why he was doing it. It's called a first amendment audit and I see very little reason for doing it. But it is legal and drumming up bogus charges just makes it worse.
Years ago the VA Beach police used to charge people with Brandishing a firearm if you had it in a gun rack that could be seen from outside the truck. All in the name of public safety.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
That case has now been settled with a complete victory to Mr. Musemeci, other photographers and the public at large. In the settlement agreement filed on October 15, 2010 FPS agreed to provide a written instruction to its officers and employees engaged in law enforcement, stating that for federal courthouses under its protective jurisdiction, there are generally no security regulations prohibiting exterior photography by individuals from publicly accessible spaces, absent a written local rule, regulation or order. The instruction will also inform FPS officers and employees that the public has a general right to photograph the exterior of federal courthouses from publicly accessible spaces.

The settlement does not preclude FPS or any other government agency from taking any legally permissible law-enforcement action, including but not limited to approaching any individual taking photographs and asking for the voluntary provision of information such as the purpose of taking the photographs or the identity of the individual, or taking lawful steps to ascertain whether unlawful activity or reconnaissance for the purpose of a terrorist, or unlawful, act is being undertaken.

FPS also agreed to release Musemeci's memory card which it had seized for use as possible evidence in the initial criminal matter. In addition, FPS will pay Musemeci the sum of $1,500 in damages and $3,350 for his attorney's fees and costs. The stipulation also included mutual general releases.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Now why do people refuse to show ID. Two good reasons.
First, you don't have to in virginia.

A bigger reason though. ..I'll quote one of the officers in the landmark lawsuit.

You know, I’ll just submit your name to T.L.O. [terrorism liaison officer]. Every time your driver’s license gets scanned, every time you take a plane, any time you go on any type of public transit system where they look at your identification, you’re going to be stopped. You will be detained. You’ll be searched. You will be on the F.B.I.’s hit list. Is that what you want? . . . Every time you move, you will be stopped and detained and searched. And delayed.”
— Alleged statement of Deputy Richard Gylfie to Plaintiff Shawn Nee as he was photographing subway turnstiles (source).

Thanks given by:
They would have to add resisting arrest to my charges
Thanks given by:
(07-16-2015, 03:56 PM)eaglerock Wrote: They would have to add resisting arrest to my charges

The commonwealth is squirming. The county knows it's getting sued, the video has gone viral...getting real interesting. We had him at dinner Tuesday and discussed tactics. Just have to see where it goes now.
With enough pressure we may get some legislative help soon.

Thanks given by:
Well the county blinked under pressure. All charges were dismissed without prejudice and an apology for being nazi aholes.
The news reported it was Nolle prosequi but that's incorrect.

The constution wins this one, next windmill please.

Thanks given by: