Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$15/Hour min wage having opposite of desired effect
Saw the story today about Seattle's $15/ Hour minimum wage law causing a lot of problems for employers. Seems that employees who now earn the new minimum wage are asking employers to cut back their hours so that they don't earn more than the threshold for them to continue receiving public assistance benefits.

So what we have is the proof that no matter what wage rate some folks earn, they will do everything in their power to receive public assistance rather than pull themselves out of debt.

Call me fascist, but what good is public assistance if it is designed to enslave people by making them financially dependent on government assistance? If you really want a living wage for service industry folks- eliminate the ability for restauranteurs to pay waitstaff only $2.13 an hour. Half the time, a waitress or waiter doesn't earn enough money in tips to cover the difference between the actual state's minimum wage and what they earn in a standard shift. And yes, I have first hand knowledge of this. A dishwasher makes more money than a waitress does, and often times the waitress has to tip out to the bartender and back kitchen staff.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Not surprised that this isn't working. Of course when I figured it wasn't going to work I honestly didn't think about the lazy turds that sponge off the government assistance. The whole welfare system needs to be fixed and this is a perfect example of why.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
A long time ago, I read an article about that minimum wage thing (and I believe it was Seattle, as well)...that once the wage went up, people finally got off their butts to look for jobs so they could cash in on $15/hr. But then they realized...no one was hiring. Because the average business owner couldn't afford to pay a slew of employees that rate and keep their business alive. So businesses stopped hiring new employees, and laid off several already-employed people because they simply couldn't keep the business' head above water with that expense. I'd say it pretty much backfired.
[Image: rrtaxicheri2.jpg]
             Amateur Huntress. Wannabe Taxidermist.
          [Image: avatar_5828.gif]        
Thanks given by:
Not to mention the folks that took the time to learn a trade or went to school who are not making much more than that per hour. 15$ minimum wage is complete BS
Thanks given by:
A $15 minimum wage would be great except that your burger will now cost $10 and your soft drink $5... If the restaurant can even stay open.
So much for that raise you thought you were getting!
Thanks given by:
(07-23-2015, 07:44 AM)Brandon Wrote: Not to mention the folks that took the time to learn a trade or went to school who are not making much more than that per hour. 15$ minimum wage is complete BS

EXACTLY.  So when does dropping fries down or wrapping up a burger warrant $15 an hour?  It doesn't.  I kills the economy in the long run as prices on those products go up.  It is a kick in the nuts to those that actually figured out that working at McD's was a starter job unless you decided to become a manager.  They are nothing more then jobs for kids to learn about earning their own money and figuring out life while they prepare for a future.

Thanks given by:
(07-23-2015, 08:19 AM)DuClaw Wrote: A $15 minimum wage would be great except that your burger will now cost $10 and your soft drink $5... If the restaurant can even stay open.
So much for that raise you thought you were getting!

Exactly!  My first high paying job was dangerous. I was blowing up rocks for a sewer line through the mountains. Those were pre. .pay any attention to safety. ..days and I was either in an unsupported 8ft ditch with a jackhammer and no respirator, packing the hole with dynamite, amonium nitrate and gravel dust...or punching the detonator with blasting wire that lost 5 feet with every shot.
I was making $2.25 an hour and living like a king til inflation caught up. Then it was back to macaroni and cheese.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
HeidelbergJaeger do you have a link to that article? I would like to point that out to some of the people I know that thing this $15 an hour minimum wage is a good thing.

Thanks given by:
Let me find it, I saw it on Drudge yesterday
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Don't worry, it's coming to a city near you soon.

http://wric.com/2015/07/23/protesters-pl...wage-hike/
Thanks given by: