Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riding mower input needed
Hi folks, you guys always have good input so I want to throw this one out there. In a couple weeks I'll be in the market for a riding lawn mower. NOT looking to spend several thousand dollars on high-end zero turn radius mower.

Would like to find a good buy on a used one for under a $1000 if I can. There are tons of them on craigslist, but that is sometimes a crapshoot.

I'll be cutting 1 to 2 acres, but I get a lot of shade so it's not really heavy grass that has to be cut every week. Would love some input on your experiences, maintenance issues, what would be an acceptable amount of hours on a used mower. My land does have some hills, so I'll need the horsepower for climbing while cutting grass. Thanks in advance for your comments!
Thanks given by:
I've owned the Craftsman LT2000 17.5hp 42" rider for 6 years now (bought off of craigslist) and the only thing I've had to do is regular maintenance.....change the oil, spark plug, blades and adjust the deck before each season. I cut about 1 acre and it takes no time at all. My Dad has the Craftsman LT3000 and has also been very happy with it.
Thanks given by:
I too have a craftsman... Been a good but so far! Into the third season! I did get it new! I do tend to lean to a Briggs& Stratton Motor?
Thanks given by:
The only rider I ever had was a Wheel Horse. That was in the 70's and ever since I've called vehicles that wouldn't run....a Wheel Horse.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Love my John Deere, a dealer only model not one that sells at box stores!
Owner - Cash's Custom Calls
http://www.facebook.com/CashsCustomCalls
Thanks given by:
As they say.... Nothing runs like a deer! Nice rides for sure?
Thanks given by:
(07-23-2015, 01:23 PM)cut_un Wrote: As they say.... Nothing runs like a deer! Nice rides for sure?

They run better with hounds on their trails! That's fer sure! lol
Thanks given by:
(07-23-2015, 01:33 PM)Alex G. Wrote:
(07-23-2015, 01:23 PM)cut_un Wrote: As they say.... Nothing runs like a deer! Nice rides for sure?

They run better with hounds on their trails! That's fer sure! lol

You're right, they run faster! Harder to hit...
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input. Is there an easy way to tell the difference when a used John Deere from box store or one from the dealer. Obviously the price is substantially different on a new model.
Thanks given by:
if you are just cutting your own grass and not trying to open a landscaping business and you want new buy one of these from lowes,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_521677-270-13WM7...awn+mowers

it hits your 1,000 dollar price point and its brand new, 42 inch cut and briggs motor. keep good gas/stabilizer in it and the oil changed and if you are only cutting an acre or two you'll be fine for years and you dont have to worry about buying a potential problem off of craigslist. My 83 year old mother bought one of these two years ago and she cuts over an acre or two with it and hasn't had a single issue plus i think lowe's threw in a small yard trailer to tow behind it.
Thanks given by: