Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog bite question ( this might be a long read)
HISTORY/BACKGROUND
I have a German Shepherd that is not pet friendly and VERY PROTECTIVE. He is trained well to basic commands but I'm in no way a dog trainer. When I walk him he is always on a lead. When other people are out walking their dogs I put Zeus in a sit position until they pass by then move on.
When I first got Zeus (a 2 year rescue at the time) I was out walking him and another loose dog came running off its property to Zeus. The owner yelled "don't worry she doesn't bite" my reply was "oh that's nice, mine does"...oops he came running to get his dog. Since that time there have been about 3-4 more incidents with this same dog. The owner will not put this other dog on a lead. Well tonight it happened again. I have become tired of trying to restrain my agitated dog so without letting go of the lead I let Zeus give a little lesson to this dog and owner. The dog got a nice bite in the ass. The owner came running and grabbed his dog. I was glad to see Zeus not divert his attention to the owner.

Now I have spoken to law enforcement previously about such incident. I was told that the owner of the loose dog would be fined and be liable for any vet bill I might incur.

CAVEAT: VA has a 1 bite rule. On one particular evening about a year ago my neighbor called me over to his driveway while I was returning from our evening walk. He wanted to show me some POS crossbow he bought. I put Zeus in sit position behind me still on lead. While I was talking to said dumb ass neighbor Zeus broke sit to come to my knee. I told dumb ass DO NOT REACH FOR MY DOG! Well he did the old here smell my hand thing. Zeus saw him reaching toward me and NAILED him good on the inside of his thigh. After 3 days of not getting a call from Animal Control to verify rabies shot and take an incident report I called them and filed a report to CYA. My home owners insurance found me not at fault because I did everything right.

NOW, if you were me would you report this current incident with the dog or let it be? I don't need my insurance company going back and reconsidering the past incident with dumb ass. That and it wasn't a human vs dog incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bows and backstraps

Many recurves and
1 Mathews Monster 6 - gen 1
Thanks given by:
I'd let it go for now. Your in a good position because you had yours leashed and his was running at large. The one bite rule has a lot of wiggle. For instance mine bit the lasership delivery man but he hasn't had his 1 bite because the fellow ignored no trespassing signs. It's in the code.
Dogs killing others on their own property are covered too.
Since you were legally walking yours and the other went after your dog, I think you're OK.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
peternap, thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the No Trespassing but I did know about own property.
What I don't know is what the hell is a lasership delivery? Is that like UPS or FedEx?

Bows and backstraps

Many recurves and
Thanks given by:
(07-26-2015, 05:57 PM)VA Bowbender Wrote: peternap, thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the No Trespassing but I did know about own property.
What I don't know is what the hell is a lasership delivery?  Is that like UPS or FedEx?

Well, yes and no. They deliver packages but UPS and FEDEX can read. Lasership are more like dog hunters. rolling

[Image: EytWCyx.jpg]

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Bahahahaha, ROFLMAO.

Bows and backstraps

Many recurves and
Thanks given by:
Just for fun
http://youtu.be/WerH2-2jhe4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bows and backstraps

Many recurves and
Thanks given by:
Bow bender I think your ok for now? Usually people go irate when they think they can make something from nothing, but since this has happened multiple times and your dog was on a leash I think you're good.
Thanks given by: