Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGIF admits there's a dog problem
I read a HUGE post the other day on facebook, it was from a particular dog hunter pleading with all dog hunters out there to be more respectful this coming season. He laid down some real good rules for all dogs clubs to abide by. He sounded desperate... it's unfortunate that some bad eggs ruin if for the good ones.

I would be interested to know how some Game Wardens would feel about this. I would image if the rules are changed their jobs would become quite a bit more complicated. LOTS and LOTS of paperwork!

Thanks given by:
(10-20-2015, 01:15 PM)Bucksnort32 Wrote: I would be interested to know how some Game Wardens would feel about this.  I would image if the rules are changed their jobs would become quite a bit more complicated.  LOTS and LOTS of paperwork!

No problem, they have 30+ new ones coming on board! rolling
Thanks given by:
(10-20-2015, 04:23 PM)Deadeye Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 01:15 PM)Bucksnort32 Wrote: I would be interested to know how some Game Wardens would feel about this.  I would image if the rules are changed their jobs would become quite a bit more complicated.  LOTS and LOTS of paperwork!

No problem, they have 30+ new ones coming on board! rolling

Well then that's where the money from the new bear tags is going... makes sense now.  DGIF set these wheels in motion a while ago.  Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Evidently black bear tag $ does NOT = White CPOs. Back to the drawing board, unfortunately.   Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
I reiterate it a lot that I grew up hound hunting, killed my first deer in front of dogs, and am even still a part of my family hunt club that runs dogs (although I do not participate). I would hate to see it banned, but damn if it doesn't need reform...BADLY. I see it, hear it, and know it. I'm all for the Florida plan. Start holding the bad apples accountable for their actions and sloppiness.

No Deer Is Safe
Thanks given by:
The Florida plan after some serious scrutiny by myself and board members of the VLA (Virginia a Landowners Association) which includes deer dog hunters came out as being the best starting point to fix the problems that we could find.

All of the CPOs are very supportive of the VLA and our efforts and are pleading for anything because as one in southside Virginia told me on the phone today this past Saturday was a "deer dog fest".

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(10-19-2015, 06:56 PM)Brandon Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 06:10 PM)Johnny Reb Wrote:
(10-17-2015, 03:39 PM)Public Land Predator Wrote:
(10-17-2015, 12:27 PM)BiggBirdd Wrote: Public land should be a big no to hounds for deer.

I haven't experienced hunting on public land where you can hunt with deer hounds, i assume you and peternap have so maybe u can enlighten me better. why should it be a big no? deer dogg guys buy the same license as you and pay the same taxes as you, why can they not use the same public land for recreation as you?

because they dont use it.they abuse it. I hunted Dragon Run state forest in King and Queen for a few years,it was fair hunting for the 1st year,then as the years went on,it got more crowded by the day,after being shot at once and intruded on a bunch of times I just stopped going there. Its only $16 a year for anyone to hunt VA state forests,so,its very attractive to a lot of folks who just dont have a lot of $$ to spend on a hunting club,and,not any "club rules",so,pretty much a free for all/circus,it had really gotten ridiculous.

I spent many years hunting DRSF. When I first started, it wasn't bad at all. Heck I even met and hunted with Johnny Reb a handful of times.

It went to the crapper once the hunt clubs started dropping dogs on state land to run the deer onto their club land. It's a very cheap fee to pay to expand their hunting land.

Not only did the clubs start taking over, so did the many many many cliques or small groups, like I was initially apart of. One evening I drove down 8 to 10 dirt roads within DRSF and counted over 50 trucks. I decided then and there it was my last time stepping foot up there...which was 2 years ago.

Come on down Public Land Hunter, I'll drive you around DRSF so you can see the circus!!

as bad as I hate to say it, I will take PeterNap, BigBird, Yours, and Johnny Reb' word for it. 

Like Tony said growing up hound hunting it pains me to see any anti dog hunting restrictions, but based on what I have seen the three times I have hunted east of the blue ridge there was dogs running (that one time was with you at chuck lafoon's)  and the posts I have seen over the years on our forum, this forum and facebook the deer dog guys need some reform before they screw things up for all the other dog hunters.

My only fear and question is where will these groups that are pushing for the florida system, reform etc. stop?? are they going to stop at deer dog hunting or try to end any hound/dog hunting completely? I have already seen one facebook group pop up trying to end hound/dog hunting in virginia. and that makes me hate to say this REALLY BAD, but groups like that are proving ole numbnuts Kirby right when he stated that "sunday hunting was the camel trying to stick his nose in the tent" or whatever that quote was lol
Thanks given by:
(10-22-2015, 05:34 PM)Public Land Predator Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 06:56 PM)Brandon Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 06:10 PM)Johnny Reb Wrote:
(10-17-2015, 03:39 PM)Public Land Predator Wrote:
(10-17-2015, 12:27 PM)BiggBirdd Wrote: Public land should be a big no to hounds for deer.

I haven't experienced hunting on public land where you can hunt with deer hounds, i assume you and peternap have so maybe u can enlighten me better. why should it be a big no? deer dogg guys buy the same license as you and pay the same taxes as you, why can they not use the same public land for recreation as you?

because they dont use it.they abuse it. I hunted Dragon Run state forest in King and Queen for a few years,it was fair hunting for the 1st year,then as the years went on,it got more crowded by the day,after being shot at once and intruded on a bunch of times I just stopped going there. Its only $16 a year for anyone to hunt VA state forests,so,its very attractive to a lot of folks who just dont have a lot of $$ to spend on a hunting club,and,not any "club rules",so,pretty much a free for all/circus,it had really gotten ridiculous.

I spent many years hunting DRSF. When I first started, it wasn't bad at all. Heck I even met and hunted with Johnny Reb a handful of times.

It went to the crapper once the hunt clubs started dropping dogs on state land to run the deer onto their club land. It's a very cheap fee to pay to expand their hunting land.

Not only did the clubs start taking over, so did the many many many cliques or small groups, like I was initially apart of. One evening I drove down 8 to 10 dirt roads within DRSF and counted over 50 trucks. I decided then and there it was my last time stepping foot up there...which was 2 years ago.

Come on down Public Land Hunter, I'll drive you around DRSF so you can see the circus!!

as bad as I hate to say it, I will take PeterNap, BigBird, Yours, and Johnny Reb' word for it. 

Like Tony said growing up hound hunting it pains me to see any anti dog hunting restrictions, but based on what I have seen the three times I have hunted east of the blue ridge there was dogs running (that one time was with you at chuck lafoon's)  and the posts I have seen over the years on our forum, this forum and facebook the deer dog guys need some reform before they screw things up for all the other dog hunters.

My only fear and question is where will these groups that are pushing for the florida system, reform etc. stop?? are they going to stop at deer dog hunting or try to end any hound/dog hunting completely? I have already seen one facebook group pop up trying to end hound/dog hunting in virginia. and that makes me hate to say this REALLY BAD, but groups like that are proving ole numbnuts Kirby right when he stated that "sunday hunting was the camel trying to stick his nose in the tent" or whatever that quote was lol

The landowners simply want the dogs and dog hunters to stay off of their land. They aren't even pushing to get rid of RTR...something I consider essential to go.
If there's an end to dog hunting, thank Kirby and his minions...not people that just want quiet enjoyment of their own property.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
(10-22-2015, 05:34 PM)Public Land Predator Wrote: I have already seen one facebook group pop up trying to end hound/dog hunting in virginia. and that makes me hate to say this REALLY BAD, but groups like that are proving ole numbnuts Kirby right when he stated that "sunday hunting was the camel trying to stick his nose in the tent" or whatever that quote was lol

IMO, Sunday hunting passage has absolutely nothing to do with the hound problem. There's been a problem for years and VaHDA has essentially refused to accept that a problem exist and therefore have done nothing to improve the situation. So, people got tired of it and took matters into their own, and the politician's hands.

For the most part, I am unaffected by hound hunting so I don't have a dawg in the fight.
Thanks given by:
(10-22-2015, 05:58 PM)Deadeye Wrote:
(10-22-2015, 05:34 PM)Public Land Predator Wrote: I have already seen one facebook group pop up trying to end hound/dog hunting in virginia. and that makes me hate to say this REALLY BAD, but groups like that are proving ole numbnuts Kirby right when he stated that "sunday hunting was the camel trying to stick his nose in the tent" or whatever that quote was lol

IMO, Sunday hunting passage has absolutely nothing to do with the hound problem. There's been a problem for years and VaHDA has essentially refused to accept that a problem exist and therefore have done nothing to improve the situation. So, people got tired of it and took matters into their own, and the politician's hands.

For the most part, I am unaffected by hound hunting so I don't have a dawg in the fight.

I theory that is true, but when the Sunday Hunting Facebook page and the guy that runs it has it plastered all over his page then it appears that it does  Confused

But like you I also am uneffected by deer hounds.... reform, banned, extinction, regardless I wil be walking on the narional forst up here in highland and shooting scrubs bucks either way lol  Big Grin
Thanks given by: