Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new land, how and where to scout?
I just landed 22 acres out in Spotsylvania,Va. The owner of land said his buddies is they only one who else hunts it but from what I gather it's not often. He himself only comes down 1 or 2 times of month to target shoot he said. The land around his property I was told no one hunts and the guy to his left doesn't let no one on his land. The other guy to right he's cool with and just his daughter rides her 4 wheeler on theirs and his land sometimes. Behind his property he said theirs like a lodge or management that doesn't let people hunt on? I try searching for it to find out. I've went out Thursday to walk land and Firday I put in cameras, stand, tack line, and walk the land to understand the property and property line. Nothing posted I seen so I turned back afraid went to far. I didn't see any signs of people being out there or four wheelers. The leaves are heavy on the paths and some paths are cover by trees that are coming in. Someone not to far was out shooting their gun when I was out but not sure how far away. Wasn"t on top of me so I don't think it's either property beside me.

I was wondering what can be tell tale signs of deer? I couldn' find any rubs but I want to say I found some tracks. Just not entirely sure if was deer which I do believe I made out a hoof print. But for the leaves that looked to be moved to get to bare ground? Didn't look like scratching but I could be wrong. I thought it look more like from feeding? I did put my stand and 3 cameras near this spot which is right by a creek. Which is the main water source on the property and where I am setup at there is a crossing. My brother said their was a swamp but didn't find it so maybe dried up?

From stand

My cameras from stand
My camera (still) to my right on the creek

My camera (video) out front of me. I put out some synthetic BF gland

Thanks given by:
My camera (still) to my left

My treestand

Thanks given by:
Look for trails, creek crossings, bedding areas (usually very thick places).

IMO, those cameras look way too high. I would recommend bringing them down to about 3-4 feet off the ground to ensure it grabs motion from a good ways out. Take a look at this thread which will give you some ideas of what to look at when setting up cameras - http://vahuntingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=6964

Also, take a look at our latest blog which explains the Rut Activity and what signs to look for. http://www.virginiahuntingblog.blogspot....eport.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks given by:
I put them up hoping no one would see them or find them. I put a wedge behind them to give them and angle
My two on side of me don't have the feature but my Moultree I love the IR aim grant it hard to see sometimes.
Thanks given by:
I think they are too high also. Remember that deer need to trip them. I put mine about 2-3 feet off the ground.
Thanks given by: Brandon
(10-25-2015, 01:06 PM)Endless Wrote: I put them up hoping no one would see them or find them. I put a wedge behind them to give them and angle
My two on side of me don't have the feature but my Moultree I love the IR aim grant it hard to see sometimes.

You are reducing the cameras effective range when placing them up that high. I would recommend lock boxes if you are worried about somebody stealing them.
Thanks given by:
Also, you have 22 acres, spread those cameras out!
Thanks given by:
I would scatter them out around the property more, seems like they're really close to where your stand is. You need to see what else is goin in away from the creek.
Thanks given by:
I meant to mention I am going to move them. I was just hoping with three near stand I can track their movement if they are coming in near stand or crossing creek. The creek is probably aboth 20 to 30 yards if that away from stand. I won't be back out till Friday to hunt it. Since I did some clearing, traveling, and sweating I figure best for me to stay out. There is one spot in there that I want to put a camera at but it's off trail and seems to have a natural game trail but I forgot where it was Thursday. I'm just unsure how large 22 acres really is and where he property ends at.
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2015, 01:27 PM)Endless Wrote: I meant to mention I am going to move them. I was just hoping with three near stand I can track their movement if they are coming in near stand or crossing creek. The creek is probably aboth 20 to 30 yards if that away from stand. I won't be back out till Friday to hunt it. Since I did some clearing, traveling, and sweating I figure best for me to stay out. There is one spot in there that I want to put a camera at but it's off trail and seems to have a natural game trail but I forgot where it was Thursday. I'm just unsure how large 22 acres really is and where he property ends at.

Thats the thing, you don't want all of them at the same location even for one given length of time..atleast IMO. You are missing the other valuable pictures that might lead you to moving your stand. 

I may be able to help you out with property lines. I have a paid subscription to property lines for the entire USA....given the parcel is on record. Send me a message and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks given by: